Friday, August 12, 2011

How come so many people think Hispanics are poor, low-class, and uneducated?

I am so sick of that stereotype! Words cannot even beigin to fathom my empathy for it!!! I am a Hispanic male, 14. We've been living in the U.S. For 7 years now. My father is an orthodontist, he makes $365,000 a year. My mother is a homemaker. Currently, I am enrolled in a private school, I am in all AP classes with a 4.0 GPA. I'm not too big on sports, but that might change since I want something to look good on a college application (I am in tons of clubs, though). Even though I have lived here a short 7 years, I would consider myself almost a master of the English Language. I have been riveted by all that it has to offer and how the eloquence of one's words can clearly place their education and social position. I spend my free time immersing myself in literature. I can speak fluent English, French, and Spanish and am learning Latin. I love the works of authors like Shakespeare (he is my idol) and love to play chess, read, write, paint, and play the violin. i have been writing novels since I was 6 (the early ones were obviously in Spanish, I learned to write fairly good English after living here for a year) and am working on getting one published. To me, this seems proof enough that Hispanics can be smart and successful. My paternal grandfather is a CEO, making over 3 million a year. My maternal grandfather is a wealthy dentist in Colombia. My mother, while unemployed to care of the home, is certified to be a dentist and has her degree. I don't understand why so many people continue to think of us as wild, rocous people who are uncivilized brutes, because we are not. The city in Colombia that I come from has a district similar to the Upper east side in New York; South America isn't a jungle, it's full of vibrant cities. I don't understand why people tend to have such negative views of Hispanics.

No comments:

Post a Comment